With the mass of gift products available it’s sometimes quite nice to give, or receive a handmade gift from a loved one! Whether that be a knitted scarf, a bottle of homemade sloe gin or a simple card, we think the power of handmade gifting can often be stronger than that of a store bought one. So here at GGL we had a little think about some quite easy DIY ideas that will be cherished.
The stylists decided that the DIY Candy Cane hot chocolate jars were just great! Low cost, heartfelt and of course, includes chocolate! One even added that they would be giving as an additional gift when visiting loved ones houses or to give to neighbours as a little favour. Another added that it may be a lovely addition to the Christmas table and would double up as a gift and a place name.
So here’s what’s in our DIY Jars:
For our DIY jars we used :
- 4 tablespoons powdered milk
- 5 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon miniature chocolate chips
- 1 candy cane
- 2 tablespoons mini marshmallows
How to make:
- Clean the jar. Ensure the jar is dry otherwise the powder will clump and the cocoa will go a different colour.
- Crush the candy cane into small chunks.
- Layer the powdered milk, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, chocolate chips, crushed candy cane and mini marshmallows into the jar and seal.
- Decorate as you wish, we’ve added a personal touch with handwritten name tags, red ribbon and offcuts from various garlands! You can be as creative as you like at this stage.
You may want to let the gift receivers know how to make it or alternatively leave a note on the back of the gift tag: Remove the marshmallows and crushed candy cane and mix the remaining mixture together. Then add 3 tablespoons of the hot chocolate mix to 200ml of warm milk on the stove. Pour into a mug and sprinkle on some marshmallows and crushed cane, sit back and to enjoy!
Here are some other DIY Christmas ideas that our Styling team have worked on:
If you try any of these ideas, we’d love to see them! Be sure to tag us @GiselaGraham or #GiselaGraham.