Long gone are the days of soggy sandwiches and a bag of multi-pack crisps, maybe a quiche lorraine if you were feeling fancy… Picnicking is now an al-fresco dining experience best enjoyed with real tableware, cushions, a bottle of prosecco and rainbow salads! Ahead of National Picnic Week, we devised a recipe we’re sure you and your friends will love; perfect for the meat eaters, veggies and vegans alike…
You Will Need:
For the salad:
- 1 Carrot
- 1/2 Red Cabbage
- 3 Spring Onions
- 160g Edamame Beans (can be frozen)
- 165g Sweetcorn
- 1 pouch of microwaveable Quinoa
- 1 bag of Rocket or baby leaf lettuce
- 1 Lime
- 25g Peanuts
- Handful of Coriander
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave syrup for a Vegan option
Optional – add chicken or prawns
- Prepare the dressing – Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor until well blended. Set aside.
- Prepare the salad – Top and tail the carrot and grate down. Shred the red cabbage finely, chop the spring onions diagonally and microwave the edamame beans and quinoa as per their cooking instructions. Take a rolling pin and bash the peanuts into smaller pieces, cut the lime in half, taking one half, cut it into wedges to serve.
- Take a large bowl and combine the carrots, red cabbage, edamame beans, sweetcorn, quinoa and lettuce and mix it all together.
- Serve the salad into 2 bowls, take the dressing and generously cover the salad. Squeeze the half of the lime over the 2 salads and add a wedge to serve, tear the coriander over the salad and garnish with the crushed peanuts.
- Et Voila, the perfect tangy summer salad – perfect for picnics.
If you try this recipe we’d love to hear what you think! Tag us on social media #GiselaGraham.