It’s a long-standing tradition in Gisela’s household that American-style buttermilk pancakes are a MUST on Christmas morning! Gisela reveals her recipe for her infamous buttermilk cinnamon pancakes with crispy bacon and blueberries:
What you need:
- 60g butter, plus extra for cooking the pancakes
- 8-12 rashers streaky bacon, 2-3 per serving
- 275g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 20g caster sugar
- 300ml carton buttermilk
- 175ml milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- maple syrup, to drizzle
- punnet of blueberries, to serve
Step-by Step Guide
- Preheat the grill to a high setting. Melt the 60g butter and allow it to cool.
- Grill the bacon for about 3-4 minutes each side until really crispy, then keep warm in a low oven.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and a good pinch of salt and mix well.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, milk, egg, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Add the cooled melted butter and whisk again vigorously.
- Slowly blend the wet ingredients into the dry ones, whisking and stirring. Don’t overmix once they’re combined.
- Heat a frying pan over a low-to-medium heat and melt a little butter in the pan. When it’s bubbling, ladle about 4 tablespoons of the pancake mixture into the pan and swirl to make a circle about 15cm in diameter.
- Cook the pancake for 2 minutes. When the edges begin to set, flip the pancake carefully and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, to make about 8 pancakes in total. As they are ready, transfer the cooked pancakes to a lined baking tray and keep warm in a low oven (120°C) while you cook the rest.
- Serve American-style – in piles, topped with a drizzle of maple syrup, rashers of crispy bacon and a sprinkling of blueberries.