Glühwein is a part of Christmas for me. Every year, in December I go for a pilgrimage back to Bremen, my hometown where they have the best of all the German Christmas Markets. If you get the chance, you must go! A big feature in the festive food and drink stalls – especially the Glühwein stalls. But I also make Glühwein myself over the Christmas Period for all of my friends and family to enjoy!
- 2 bottles of good red wine
- 1/2 a litre of water
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 140g sugar
- 2 star anise
- 4 sticks of Cinnamon
- 1/2 a vanilla pod (or drops of vanilla essence)
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 clementines, sliced horizontally
- Put the dry ingredients in a saucepan and cover with wine.
- Very gently heat until sugar dissolves
- Stir and add the water, continue to simmer very slowly for 10 minutes, not allowing it to boil
- Strain off the spices and slices of clementine
- Serve with clementine slices (optional)
NOTE: some people add a glass of plum schnapps or brandy to mix at the beginning.